African Peanut Soup
Prep time: 45 minutes
A variety of vegetables, including yams and spinach, go into to this savory soup.
- 8 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 bunch spinach, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 red yam, peeled and cubed Add to list
- 1 large zucchini, sliced Add to list
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped Add to list
- Water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup peanut butter (with no added sugar or salt) Add to list
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced Add to list
Combine garlic, onions, spinach, yams, zucchini and bell peppers in a large soup pot. Add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add curry powder, salt, pepper and peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
Cover and continue to cook until vegetables are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor