Adobo-style Chicken (Tangy Soy Chicken)
Serves: 4 to 8
- 8 whole chicken legs cut into drumstick and thigh sections Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar Add to list
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed lightly Add to list
- 3/4 cup soy sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil Add to list
- Cooked rice as an accompaniment Add to list
In a large kettle, combine the chicken, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the soy sauce and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes.
Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a plate. Pat the chicken dry and set aside. Boil the remaining liquid for 10 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 1 cup. Remove the bay leaves, skim the fat from the surface and let the sauce cool.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat until it is hot, but not smoking. Sauté the chicken in batches, turning it, for 5 minutes, or until it is browned well. Transfer the chicken to a rimmed platter. Pour the heated sauce over it and serve the chicken with the rice.
Source: PCC Natural Markets Taste of Nations 1999 Cookbook
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »