Adas Polo (Lentil Rice with Caramelized Onions and Raisins)
This savory mix of lentils, fragrant basmati rice, garlic, caramelized onions, and raisins makes a terrific main or side dish.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron Add to list
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 3 cups basmati rice Add to list
- 2 onions, thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 cup raisins Add to list
Wash lentils thoroughly and add them to a medium saucepan; top with a generous amount of water. Boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until just cooked through. Drain lentils in a colander. Dissolve saffron in a small amount of hot water and add to lentils. Set aside.
Wash rice thoroughly and add to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons oil and 2 teaspoons salt, and enough water so the rice may boil freely. On high heat, boil rice for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain rice in a colander and rinse with warm water.
Select a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Coat the bottom of the pot with 2 tablespoons oil. Gently blend the cooked rice and lentils together, combining the two ingredients but being careful to not mash the rice. Shape the rice-lentil mixture into a pyramid and cover with a lid. Steam over medium-low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
Add remaining oil to a large sauté pan and add sliced onions. Lightly caramelize over low heat, 15 to 20 minutes. Add garlic, spices, salt and raisins and cook for about 5 more minutes.
Serve the lentil-rice on a serving platter, topped with the caramelized onion mixture.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »