5-Color Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
This colorful salad gets its rainbow from a variety fresh herbs, vegetables, cheese and nuts.
- 1/2 cup walnuts Add to list
- 1 cup quinoa Add to list
- 8 cups water Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1 lemon, zested Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or basil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives Add to list
- 1 tart apple, chopped Add to list
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded red cabbage Add to list
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
Toast walnuts in a 325° F oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
Rinse quinoa in a fine strainer. Put quinoa in a skillet over medium-low heat and dry toast until aromatic, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes. Bring water to a boil in a soup pot. Add toasted quinoa and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or when you can see the white ring around the perimeter of the grain. Drain through a strainer and let sit until cooled to room temperature.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Stir fresh herbs, garlic and red onions into the dressing. Fold in remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at the Healthy Living Expo, April 19, 2008