5-Color Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup walnuts Add to list
- 1 cup quinoa Add to list
- 8 cups water Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar Add to list
- 1 lemon, zested Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or basil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives Add to list
- 1 tart apple, chopped Add to list
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded red cabbage Add to list
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
In a 325° F oven, roast the walnuts for 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
Rinse the quinoa in a fine strainer. Put the quinoa in a skillet on medium-low heat and dry toast until aromatic, stirring frequently. Bring water to a boil in a soup pot. Add the toasted grain and cook, uncovered, until the grain is cooked, about 15 minutes, or when you can see the white ring around the perimeter of the grain. Drain through a strainer and let sit until cooled to room temperature.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together the oil, sherry vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Stir the fresh herbs, garlic and red onion into the dressing. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at the Healthy Living Expo, April 19, 2008