3-B's Whole-Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix
Yield: Approximately 6 1/2 cups
Great gift idea! Include separate packages of pecans and maple syrup to complete the gift.
- 3 cups barley flour Add to list
- 2 cups buckwheat flour Add to list
- 1 cup blue corn flour Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Sucanat or Florida Crystals (less refined sugar, in bulk) or brown or turbinado sugar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons non-aluminum baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans Add to list
- 8 ounces organic maple syrup, from liquid bulk, in a small bottle Add to list
In a large bowl, mix first six ingredients. Fill up pretty containers. Make smaller packages of the chopped pecans. Make a basket of mix, nuts and syrup.
Include these instructions with gift:
For pancakes, whisk together 2 cups of dry mix with 1 whole egg (or two egg whites), 1 tablespoon oil and 1 3/4 cups milk (or milk alternative). Let mixture set up for 5 minutes. Thin with milk, if desired. Sprinkle a few pieces of pecans directly onto sprayed or oiled griddle, then cover with 1/4 fairly thin dough. Turn when bubbles appear, as with any pancake. Putting nuts directly on griddle gives a crisper nut. Omit nuts if preferred, or stir into batter.
For waffles, no different instructions for mixing. Sprinkle nuts onto pre-heated and oiled waffle grids, add batter, and close top grid, following waffle iron instructions for baking. Enjoy with warm maple syrup! Serves 2 to 3.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Source: Sound Consumer December 2001