Fresh Forecast: Organic Hawaiian pineapple, black mission figs and more in store
I couldn't get enough pineapple on my last trip to Hawai'i, and I'm sure a lot of you feel the same:
So what a treat it's been to find fresh, organic pineapple in our stores this summer! A word of caution: Cut it small, wear an apron or be near a source of water for cleanup. It's super juicy, and I've spent the past 10 minutes cleaning my keyboard after every bite sent pineapple juice airborne. YUM!
Here's what else you'll find this week at PCC:
- Organic tomatoes from the Walker family in Roseburg, Ore. They're under the LADYBUG label.
- Organic corn from Scio, Ore. (yellow and bicolor, just right for this recipe)
- The very first local organic apples from around the state (Galas, likely to come into stores this weekend)
- Organic Bartlett pears from Scott Leach Orchards
- Organic Nash's carrots from Sequim, Wash.
- Organic Black Mission and Adriatic Green figs from California (the latter taste as though they're filled with raspberry jam, says Joe, our produce guru)
Coming in September: Local and organic pluots (in Flavor King and Dapple Dandy varieties, love those names!).