Fresh Forecast: Local organic cherries on sale!

As we head deeper into summer the variety of locally grown produce keeps expanding. What a delight to see local Lapin cherries from River Valley Organics of Tonasket, Wash. filling the bins! Snag a bunch to enjoy at lunch for $3.99 lb (if you like organic cherries as much as me, you'll recognize this as a screaming deal). Our produce guru, Joe Hardiman, also recommends the sweet organic white corn from Double D Farms in Coalinga, Calif.

Did you know that PCC's produce department averages 95 percent organic? Joe says that asparagus comprises a substantial portion of that remaining 5 percent, and he keeps his eyes peeled for additional organic asparagus growers to meet springtime demand. 

Also arriving by week's end:

  • Organic Walla Walla sweet onions from across the Cascades
  • Organic blackberries from Wilt Farms of Corvallis, Ore.
  • Organic raspberries from J4 Ranch in Mount Vernon, Wash.
  • Organic green beans from Inaba Farms in Wapato, Wash.

Comments

Chime in! (our commenting policy)
Please use proper table manners when sharing food for thought on this or any other PCC Natural Markets forum. If a food fight starts, email webmaster@pccsea.com to blow the whistle.

Post new comment

Walla Walla onion storage tips

I'm very excited to hear that PCC will soon be selling organic Walla Walla onions! I've been cooking with Walla Walla onions a lot this year and have been posting my thoughts and storage tips on these sweet WA onions on my blog, www.hooksforcooks.com. While doing research on the onions, I contacted Kathryn Fry of the Walla Walla Sweet Onion Marketing Committee. She offered great useful tips for storing these open pollinated highly perishable onions. Check out my multiple posts on both Hooks for Cooks and Amazon's Al Dente Blog. Cheers, Melissa A. Trainer, aka
Hooksforcooks.com

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for letting us know how to maximize the usable life of this summer treat, Melissa!

Post new comment

Login or register to post comments

Syndicate content

Related Content

Recent Blog Posts

Recent Comments

Monthly Poll

What variety of bean do you turn to for your favorite dishes?: