Fresh Forecast: Stone fruit from Cali, organic Vidalia onions
Fresh produce is streaming in from all directions this month, though the height of our Washington harvest won't come until July/August/September (so hard to wait!). Here's what's new this week from the desk of PCC produce merchandiser Joe Hardiman.
- California organic cherries: Look for them by the end of this week. Washington Bings should be available in about a month
- Organic apriums (that tasty cross between an apricot and a plum)
- Organic Vidalia sweet onions from Georgia: by the weekend. Our own Walla Walla sweets will be here in July. Joe likes the Vidalias sliced on salads, in burgers and in sandwiches.
- Driscoll organic strawberries from Watsonville, Calif. (I've been snacking on these nearly every day). Local strawberries will be here in late June.
- Organic white peaches
- And local asparagus is still going strong, as is organic salad mix from Full Circle Farm.