Eco-friendly features at Fremont PCC
Our store is as eco-friendly as the products we carry. Our cafe's solar-powered canopy produces electricity that benefits our environment.
New construction includes strawboard custom cabinetry, 100% recycled structural steel and worktops manufactured using recycled paper. Our paints are low toxic. And, our elevator's hydraulic system uses biodegradable canola oil. Read about these and other great features in detail below:
- PCC is the first business in Seattle to install PV to produce electricity. A 3kW photovoltaic (PV) panel array on the south canopy produces electricity from sunlight without moving parts or pollution.
- Special solar selective glass at the west and south reduces solar heat gain by 50%, allowing the air conditioning for those zones to be downsized by 20%, while visibility is still 90% that of clear glass.
- Full spectrum lighting using low-mercury lamps at 2.48 watts/square foot, 17% below Energy Code.
- Occupancy sensors and timers automatically turn off lighting when it is not needed.
- The mechanical and refrigeration systems are all interconnected by the same hydronic loop, so that heat generated from cooling the food is captured to heat the store's hot water and interior air.
- Air conditioning uses falling water to provide natural cooling.
Recycled content construction materials include:
- Structural steel: 100% recycled content.
- Steel studs: 25% recycled content.
- Steel doors and frames: 20% recycled content.
- The building insulation at walls and ceiling: fiberglass containing 25% recycled glass.
- The building insulation under the floor slab: cellulose containing 80% recycled cardboard.
- Custom cabinets: panels made from 93% agricultural wheat chaff waste.
- Ceiling tiles at offices: 100% agricultural aspen fiber waste.
- Ceiling tiles at food prep areas: 55% recycled mineral fiber.
- All scrap accumulated during construction was collected, sorted, and recycled by the waste hauler.
Indoor air quality
- Following construction, the store was continuously flushed with fresh air for 2 weeks prior to opening.
- Year round, the mechanical systems provide positively pressurized, filtered fresh air to the store.
- The interior paint, sealers, and finishes are water based, formaldehyde free, and very low VOC.
- The refrigerant used for the equipment in the store is zero ozone depleting.
- The linoleum flooring is a natural product made from cork, linseed oil, jute, and wood.
- The hydraulic oil for the elevator is a biodegradable, vegetable based (canola) oil instead of a petroleum product.