Zesty Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 1/2 Tbs margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce, (or other hot red pepper sauce)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Tbs Parmesan cheese, grated, fresh
- In a large pot, heat water to a boil. Cook macaroni in rapidly boiling water until done. Drain and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add flour and cook one minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir and cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Boil for one minute and remove from heat.
- Add seasonings (Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Tabasco and pepper) and cheeses. Stir until cheeses melt. Combine cheese sauce and macaroni in a bowl; stir well. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.