White Bean and Kale Soup with Goat Cheese Polenta
- White Bean and Kale Soup1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cups kale, chopped
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans white beans, such as cannellini or navy, rinsed and drained
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbs fresh shredded Parmesan
- Goat Cheese Polenta Rounds8 Tbs fresh goat cheese
- 8 slices precooked polenta
- White Bean and Kale SoupChop all your veggies. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; sauté until soft.
- Add kale and sauté, stirring, until wilted.
- Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper (crushed red pepper + black pepper). Simmer 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. Or just mash the beans in the broth with a potato masher. Stir into soup to thicken. Simmer at least 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
- Goat Cheese Polenta RoundsSlice the premade polenta into ½-inch thick rounds
- Spray a cooking sheet with nonstick spray, arrange polenta rounds on the sheet, and top with a bit of goat cheese (about 1 to 2 tsp per round)
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes, and then broil for a few minutes on high to make the polenta a little more crispy and to brown the cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.