Warm Winter Walnut Salad
- Salad:2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat) or long-grain white rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1-pound (455g) bag mixed frozen vegetables such as broccoli, corn and red peppers
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce (half a head)
- Dressing:1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley or chives
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat. Add the bulgur or rice and vegetables and stir to combine. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low, then cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside off heat, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the mixture into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, walnuts, onions and parsley and combine by stirring and tossing with a fork. Season with pepper to taste. Spread the lettuce around the rim of a large platter.
- To make the dressing, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice and parsley in a small bowl.
- Mound the salad in the center of the lettuce and spoon some of the dressing over the salad. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.