Walnut Cranberry Grain Loaf
- 1 package fresh yeast
- 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1/3 cup apple cider, lukewarm
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white rye flour
- 1- 1/2 cups California walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Sponge Starter:1 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup white rye flour
- 1/2 package fresh yeast
- 2/3 cup water, lukewarm
- Sponge Starter:In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Add flours and mix for 5 minutes on slow speed with a dough hook. Let rise for one hour.
- To make the bread:In a bowl, dissolve the package of yeast in lukewarm water. Add the sponge, apple cider, egg, and salt. Mix the dough 6 to 8 minutes on medium speed until fully developed.
- Add the walnuts, cranberries and orange zest and mix on slow speed until fully incorporated. Let the dough rise to double in volume, then punch it down and divide the dough into two even pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Form each piece of dough into a greased pound cake pan. Let the dough rise to its maximum volume, about double in size. Place the loaves in the oven and bake until golden brown and a good crust is formed; approximately 25 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.