Vegetarian Skillet Stew
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Half 3-inch (8-cm) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4–5 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch (0.3-cm) rounds
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 to 3 cups (480 to 720mL) vegetable stock
- 1 bunch greens of choice, chopped
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup stock
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Grind all spices together.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until fork tender. Set aside.
- Heat a 3- to 4-quart (2.9- to 3.8-L) skillet. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onions, stirring to coat with the oil.
- Next, add the ground spices and garlic, mixing into the onions.
- Add the carrots, coating again with the oil and spices.
- Pour in the 2 to 3 cups (480 to 720mL) of stock. Add the beans and the chopped greens. Cover and cook until the carrots and greens are tender.
- Add the potatoes.
- Remove 1/2 cup (120mL) of the cooking stew and purée in a blender. Return to the skillet.
- Add the currents, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Serve immediately over brown basmati rice.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.