Vegetarian Bean Stew
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-ounce can corn, drained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (you can use 3/4 cup if you like more sauce in your chili)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm, set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the bell pepper and red onion in the olive oil, until the onion is cooked (about 5 minutes); add tomatoes at the end and cook for 1 minute.
- Add black beans, red kidney beans, tomato sauce, salsa, and corn; stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients (all spices); stir to combine; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice (I usually put the brown rice at the bottom of the bowl, chili on top, and stir to combine).
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.