Vegetable Paella with Tofu
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 7-ounce package spicy marinated tofu, finely diced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced (the mushrooms cook down so much that if you’re a mushroom fan, you can add up to 10 ounces)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 14-ounce can chopped or diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/8 tsp saffron, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper (these are crucial; don’t forget them! Add them to taste.)
- Heat oil in wok or a large pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu when oil is heated through, season with salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, if you’re using minute brown rice, cook according to package directions. Add in saffron at the same time you add the rice to the boiling water. Stir and cook on low - let sit until all water is absorbed.
- Back to the tofu/mushroom mixture: Stir in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté 2-5 minutes more.
- Stir in rice, and about approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of water (if you’re using minute rice). Cover with wok lid, and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add peas on surface (do not stir yet), cover, and allow peas to steam 1 to 2 minutes. Remove wok from heat, and stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with salt, garlic salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.