Tuscany Bean Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups canned tomatoes (1 28-ounce can)
- 6 cups canned white beans (3 15-ounce cans), undrained
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pasta shells, or other small pasta shape
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and sauté onions, celery, and garlic until tender.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cook over medium heat, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, so they are in small pieces.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the canned beans with their liquid, the water, salt, and pepper, and cook over medium heat for another 20 minutes, until the beans are soft and begin to break apart.
- Add the pasta to the soup, and cook for another 5–10 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the basil leaves as a flavorful garnish.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.