Tomato-Basil Salad with Thyme Vinaigrette
- 4 ripe unblemished summer tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 small bunches frisée (curly endive), rinsed and spun dry
- 12 large basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 18 kalamata or gaeta pitted olives, rinsed and halved
- pinch of sea salt, optional
- Core the tomatoes and slice them into thin wedges. Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Rinse the onion slices under cool, running water to remove their sharpness. Set aside to dry on paper towels. Add to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and thyme. (This vinaigrette keeps for up to 2 days if covered and refrigerated.)
- Add the frisée, basil leaves, and olives to the bowl with the tomatoes. Toss and dress with the vinaigrette. Season with salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.