The Ultimate California Sundae
- Sundae:2 fresh Black Mission figs, quartered
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Almond Ginger Topping, divided (recipe follows)
- 2 to 3 Tbs whipped cream for garnish
- 1 tsp sliced almonds for garnish
- 1 tsp chopped candied ginger for garnish
- Strawberry Almond Ginger Topping:1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbs chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Sundae:Place 3 pieces of fig in the bottom of a large sundae glass. Cover the figs with 2 scoops of ice cream. Place 3 more fig pieces over the ice cream along with 1/4 cup strawberry topping. Add 2 more scoops of ice cream topped with the remaining 1/4 cup strawberry topping. Garnish the sundae with the whipped cream, sliced almonds, candied ginger, and remaining fig pieces.
- Topping:Slice the berries in half (or into quarters if they are very large) and place them in a large, heavy non-reactive saucepan with the sugar and lime juice. Toss until the berries are well coated with sugar. Set aside for 2 hours or until the berries have released their juice.
- Place the pan with the berries over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Add the almond extract and candied ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and skim any foam that has formed. Stir in the almonds and allow the topping to cool. Refrigerate the topping for at least 2 hours before using.
- The topping may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Substitution Tip: Use your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe or pre-made cookies in place of the recipe here.
Note: Preparation time includes only making the sundae.
Nutrition Note: Create the same delicious dessert with fewer calories and carbs by reducing the amount of ice cream and toppings used or choosing low-fat ice cream.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.