Thai Green Papaya Salad with Grilled Strawberries
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 tsp chopped shallot
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Chinese long beans, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbs Thai fish sauce
- 2 Tbs palm sugar or light brown sugar, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded green papaya
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, stemmed and cut into wedges
- 1 Tbs crushed roasted cashews
- 1 Tbs chopped dried shrimp (optional)
- red chili flakes
- 6 large fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1 tsp finely slivered Thai basil leaves
- 1 tsp finely slivered mint leaves
- 1/4 cup carrot shreds
- In a large mortar and pestle, or in a bowl with a metal meat mallet, mash garlic and shallot to a paste. Add tomatoes and long beans; pound a few times to release juices. Add lime juice, fish sauce and sugar; stir gently to dissolve sugar. Add papaya; pound lightly.
- Mix in strawberry wedges, cashews, shrimp and chili flakes; season with salt. Place strawberry halves on a hot grill, cut side down, 30-40 seconds or until grill marks form. Mound salad on a platter or 3 salad plates; garnish with grilled strawberries, basil, mint and carrot shreds.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.