Tart 'n Tangy Barbecue Ribs
- 3 lbs pork back ribs
- 1 10-oz. jar currant or grape jelly
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce
- For sauce, in medium microwave-safe bowl, combine jelly, tomato paste and water. Stir in chili powder, garlic salt, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until jelly is melted and mixture is well blended and bubbly. Micro-cook 2 minutes more, stirring once. Makes 1 1/2 cups sauce. (If desired, sauce may be prepared conventionally in medium saucepan. Combine all ingredients as above except increase water to 1/4 cup. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly is melted and mixture is well blended. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes.
- Trim excess fat from ribs. Cut into 3-rib portions. Place in a large oven cooking bag in an 11x7-inch baking dish, overlapping as necessary. Secure loosely with a strip cut from end of the cooking bag (or use microwave-safe casserole with lid). Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 10 minutes. Turn bag over, rearranging ribs to expose uncooked areas. Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 10-15 minutes more or until no pink remains. Remove ribs from bag and drain well.
- Prepare covered grill with drip pan in center banked by medium-hot coals. Place ribs over drip pan. Brush lightly with sauce. Lower grill hood. Grill about 30-40 minutes or until tender, brushing with sauce and turning ribs over occasionally.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.