- 3/4 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2/3 cups canned kidney beans (one 15-ounce can), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomato sauce (one 15-ounce can)
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 Tbs chili powder or more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Cheddar cheese*, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Brown beef in a nonstick skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, black olives, chili powder, and Tabasco sauce, and stir to combine. Transfer bean mixture to a 10x 10-inch (25x25cm) casserole dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture is thick (about 10 minutes).
- Ladle cornmeal over meat and bean mixture and flatten with a spoon.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Return to oven and cook for another 10 minutes, until the cheese melts.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.