Sweet and Tart Roast Chicken with Horseradish
- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 - 4 pounds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon, zest grated
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup kumquats, halved, or chopped tangerine
- 1 Tbs horseradish
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place chicken in roasting pan; tuck wings underneath. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice over chicken and place lemon halves into cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F; roast an additional 50 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180° F when inserted into thickest part of thigh.
- Remove chicken from pan, cover with foil and set aside.
- Pour off excess fat from pan drippings. Place roasting pan on stove over medium heat; stir in chicken broth, lemon zest, cranberries, kumquats, horseradish and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer; cook until cranberries pop, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Slice chicken and arrange on serving platter. Stir butter into sauce; pour into a bowl and serve with chicken.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.