Stuffed Zucchini Middle East Style
- 3 large zucchini squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef, uncooked
- 3/4 cup short grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 medium egg white
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in one or two large casserole dishes (depending on the size of the zucchinis).
- Spray a large skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Gently cook onion until transparent.
- Combine cooked onions with ground beef, rice, parsley, allspice, salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly. Fill each zucchini “boat” with the meat mixture, mounding it up and packing it in.
- Pour 1 cup (240mL) of water on the bottom of each pan, around the squashes. Cover pans tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt sauce: In a heavy saucepan, combine yogurt, egg white, cornstarch, and salt. Stir mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Continue to stir and cook for 5 minutes; it will thicken slightly as it cooks. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When zucchinis have cooked for 45 minutes, remove from oven, uncover, and pour yogurt sauce over zucchinis. Return to oven, uncovered, and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a vegetable side dish.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.