Split Pea Soup
- 2 cups split peas, uncooked
- 5 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or more if needed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Rinse and drain split peas.
- Combine dried split peas, water, bay leaf, and salt in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the split peas from sticking, and to make sure that there is enough water. Add water if the soup looks like it is becoming too dry.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and seasonings.
- Continue to simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Add more water if a thinner soup is desired. Overcooking cannot hurt this soup as long as it is stirred to prevent sticking.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.