Spinach Salad with Candied Shiitake Mushrooms
- 12 slices smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup minced ginger
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 3 lbs baby spinach, well rinsed
- 3 lbs trimmed watercress, well rinsed
- Candied Shiitake Mushrooms4 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 lb stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- To make the mushrooms: Mix the teriyaki sauce, rice wine vinegar, and honey together. Heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook to brown slightly, stirring constantly. Add the teriyaki mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, reserving the fat. Dice the bacon.
- For each serving, to order: Heat 1/2 tablespoon bacon fat over medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon ginger and 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add 4 ounces spinach and watercress, toss, and turn off the heat. Add 1/3 cup candied shiitake mushrooms and 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Stir until well coated and mound the salad on a plate, drizzling the liquid around it. Sprinkle diced bacon over the salad
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.