Spicy Tomato, Bean, and Veggie Soup
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (I used a red onion)
- 1 red, yellow, or green pepper
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 26-ounce jar marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes with Italian spices
- 2 14 ounce cans vegetable broth (can also use chicken)
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and chop your veggies.
- Add the carrots, red pepper, onion, and garlic and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. I let the veggies sauté a bit longer, like 5 to10 minutes on medium heat. It gave them a great crunch but still were cooked through.
- Add the jar of marinara sauce, broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 to 20 min. Ladle into bowls, let it cool for a bit and then top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.