Spicy Samosa Wraps with Tamarind Chutney
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1-1.5 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- ½-¾ cup water
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 2-3 Tbs curry powder (the more you use, the spicier it will be!)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs lemon juice (or more to taste)
- 6 whole-grain tortillas (1 per serving), or naan
- 6 Tbs roasted cashews, chopped (1 Tbsp per wrap)
- 6 Tbs tamarind chutney, thinned slightly with water (one or two tsp per wrap)
- Optional if you really like it spicy: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Chop all of your veggies.
- Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium heat with 2 tsp canola oil, and add the onion. Cook until onion begins to become translucent. Add peas, tomato, ginger, jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring, until peas thaw.
- Squeeze tofu lightly to remove as much water as possible. Cut into small cubes. Cut the potatoes into small cubes as well (I like making the tofu cubes and the potato cubes the same size). Add potatoes and tofu to skillet along with 1/2-cup water, salt, curry powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne (optional). Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Note: the smaller the potato cubes are, the faster they will cook!
- Remove cover and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes are fork tender. Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Warm tortillas or naan according to package directions. Place 1/6 of the filling in the center of the wrap, top with 1 Tbsp cashews.
- Top with a drizzle of the tamarind chutney, wrap, and enjoy!
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.