Spicy Portabella Couscous
- 12 oz portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- Trim portabella stems, if attached; slice mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add portabellas; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes; remove from skillet to a plate; cover to keep warm. Add remaining two tablespoons of olive oil to skillet. Stir in onion, cumin and cinnamon; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add orange juice, cook at a brisk simmer until liquid reduces to 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous: In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. stir in couscous, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. If desired, stir in sliced green onions, golden raisins and sliced almonds. To serve, divide couscous among 4 plates; top each with portabellas; drizzle with orange-cumin sauce.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.