Spiced Chicken Meatballs in Split Pea Pilaf
- Meatballs2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- Pilaf1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 16 oz yellow split peas
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 3 Tbs mint, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray jelly roll pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- In medium bowl, blend together ground chicken, bread crumbs, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, 2 teaspoons salt and half (one-eighth cup) chopped parsley. Knead mixture with hands until it is smooth. Wet hands and form mixture into meatballs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place meatballs on prepared jelly roll pan; bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- In very large soup pot, warm olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in split peas, chicken broth, apricots and walnuts. Gently stir in meatballs. Increase heat to high; bring broth to a boil. Cover pan; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, until split peas are tender. Stir in remaining parsley, chives, mint, salt and pepper.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.