Spanish Beef Dips with Caramelized Manchego Onions
- 2 beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) ciabatta bread
- 1/4 cup shredded manchego cheese
- 1 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
- Seasoning1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Jus1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- Onions1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut in half, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Set aside.
- Combine jus ingredients in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
- Meanwhile prepare onions. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; sprinkle with brown sugar; continue cooking about 10 minutes or until very tender and golden brown, stirring often. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Heat same large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Cut bread loaf in half crosswise; cut each half crosswise in half forming quarters. Split each quarter horizontally in half. Place cut sides up on rimmed metal baking sheet so surface of bread is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 30 seconds to 1 minute or until toasted and lightly browned.
- Carve steaks into thin slices. Place equal amounts of steak slices on bottom portions of bread. Top evenly with onion and cheese. Close sandwiches. Ladle hot jus into cups for dipping. Sprinkle cilantro over jus.
Substitution Tip: Four crusty French rolls (about 2-1/2 ounces each), split, may be substituted for ciabatta bread. Toast and fill as directed above.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.