Spaghetti Squash Salad
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 2 Tbs hazelnut oil
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, in a large baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the strands may be loosened easily with a fork and the sides are soft when squeezed.
- Put the hazelnuts in a medium skillet over low heat and toast until golden brown. Allow to cool. Place in a kitchen towel and rub to remove loose skins. Chop into large pieces.
- Let the squash stand until cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a large bowl. Add the hazelnuts and hazelnut oil, drizzle with the maple syrup, if using, and toss to serve.
Serving Suggestion: I frequently use spaghetti squash in place of real spaghetti as an accompaniment to chicken, veal, or fish. It is terrific with tomato sauce.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.