Sourdough Stuffing with Sage Sausage and Apples
- 1 lb turkey sage breakfast sausage
- 4 Tbs butter, divided
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup portabella mushrooms, diced
- 2 Tbs fresh thyme
- 3 Tbs fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 loaf whole wheat sourdough bread, stale and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; about 10 minutes. Drain fat and set aside.
- In the same skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add shallots, garlic, celery, apple and mushrooms and sauté until tender. Sprinkle with thyme and sage.
- Pour white wine over vegetables and deglaze the pan. Sauté for another 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, vegetable mixture, 2 tablespoons of butter, and bread. Pour chicken broth over stuffing, stirring well to evenly coat the bread pieces. You want the bread to be moist but not soggy.
- Place stuffing in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes and remove foil.
- Dot the top with the remaining tablespoon of butter and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes until the top has browned.
- Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.