Smoky Cilantro Pesto Beef Crostini
- 2 beef shoulder center (ranch cut) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 24 slices baguette bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Smoky Cilantro Pesto3 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Prepare Smoky Cilantro Pesto. Place cilantro, pine nuts, chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice and black pepper in food processor container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add cheese; pulse on and off until just combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth.
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in glass dish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining pesto.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange 12 bread slices around steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove bread slices from grill. Repeat with remaining 12 bread slices.
- Spread 2 teaspoons remaining pesto on each toasted bread slice. Carve steaks into thin slices. Place beef slices evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with 1/4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Substitution: Grated Parmesan cheese may be substituted for the Cotija cheese.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.