Shrimp & Pumpkin Risotto
- 1 32 oz carton all-natural chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups Arborio rice (risotto)
- 1 cup white wine or apple juice
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb jumbo (16 to 20 count) shrimp, (shelled and deveined), raw
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Adjust the heat to keep the broth hot.
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir well to coat. Add the wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Start to add the chicken broth, about ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently. Allow the broth to be absorbed into the rice before adding the next ½ cup.
- When all the broth has been added and absorbed (this should take about 20 minutes), stir in the pumpkin, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese. Reduce the heat to low.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minute per side or until just cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the risotto evenly between plates or pasta bowls and top with the shrimp. Sprinkle with the parsley as desired.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.