Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 Tbs butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium, fat-free beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup ovenproof casserole with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small pot, combine the potatoes with enough water to cover by 3". Bring to a boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potatoes, return to the pot, and add the milk, butter, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Mash until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sirloin and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Drain the fat from the pan and transfer the beef to a bowl. Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, peas and carrots, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Return the beef to the skillet and stir in the broth, wine, and tomato paste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Transfer the beef mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Spread the reserved sweet potatoes evenly over the top of the beef. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.