Seared Steak and Spinach
- 1 quart baby spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
- 1 cup olives, halved
- 1 cup diced cooked beets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb filet mignon (or other lean cut of beef)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz sliced red onions, 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs port wine
- 2 Tbs shaved parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, olives and beets. Set aside. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Season beef on both sides with salt and pepper to taste and place in pan. Turn heat down to medium-high and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side until medium-rare and transfer to a clean cutting board. Set aside for 2-3 minutes, slice into 1/4-inch thick strips and place into spinach bowl.
- Pour onions into sauté pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until just tender, remove from heat and stir in beef stock, vinegar and port. Toss with spinach salad until evenly coated and slightly wilted. Top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.