Roasted Lamb Sandwiches with Poached Pears and Goat Cheese
- 5 to 6 lbs lamb leg, boned, trimmed and trussed
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 oz yellow onion, small diced
- 3/4 oz fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 oz fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 oz fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 oz fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 Tbs garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs cane syrup
- 1 Tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- Provence Salt1 lb kosher salt
- 2 oz pepper, ground
- 2 oz granulated garlic
- 1- 1/3 oz dry lemon peel, ground
- 2/3 oz dried thyme, ground
- 2/3 oz dried rosemary, ground
- 2/3 oz dried oregano, ground
- 2/3 oz dried marjoram, ground
- 2/3 oz dried basil, ground
- Poached Pears6 Bosc Pears
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 cup cabernet
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 24 slices French boules, toasted
- 24 oz goat cheese, softened
- 12 oz roasted garlic Dijon aioli
- 6 cups spring mix
- For MarinadeCombine sherry, lemon juice, onion, thyme, basil, rosemary, tarragon, garlic, cane syrup, mustard and salt. Use emersion blender to make marinade smooth. Add oil in a stream allowing marinade to emulsify. Pat lamb dry and rub with marinade. Let sit for 2 hours.
- For Provence SaltCombine all ingredients in stainless steel bowl.
- Evenly coat roast with Provence salt as needed and place on roasting rack. Roast lamb in 350ºF oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, rotating every 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check for desired degree of doneness: 145ºF for medium-rare, 160ºF for medium or 170ºF for well.
- Once the roast has cooled, partially remove the trussing and place leg on meat slicer. Use the #2 setting to slice meat, removing tress as needed. Portion into 5-ounce packs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.
- For Poached Pears Remove peel from pears and reserve. Combine wines and sugar in pan; cook over medium heat stirring to dissolve sugar. Add pears and skins and cook over low heat for 1 hour, turning pears frequently. Cool pears and skins in mixture. Remove skins and pears; discard skins. Slice pears in half and remove cores. Slice each pear into 12 slices. Place pear slices back into wine mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- To prepare sandwich: Spread 2 ounces goat cheese on bottom slice of sandwich. Spread 1 ounce roasted garlic Dijon aioli on the top slice of sandwich. Arrange 5 ounces sliced lamb on goat cheese. Top with 1/2 cup spring mix and 6 pear slices. Top with second piece of bread and cut on the diagonal.
Store unused Provence salt in jar with tight-fitting lid.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.