Roast Cornish Game Hens with Sauteed Blueberries
- 4 halves cornish game hens or squabs, halved (about 3 pounds)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper teaspoon
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbs honey
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup shallot, minced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Rub hens with balsamic vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Place on a rack in a roasting pan; roast until thigh juices run clear, about 35 minutes.
- To prepare garlic: Blanch cloves in boiling water. In a skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the butter, the honey, thyme, garlic and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until liquid is reduced to a syrup and garlic turns golden brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes; remove thyme sprigs.
- To prepare sautéed blueberries: In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes. Add blueberries; cook until they soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in red wine vinegar; simmer until mixture has a saucy consistency, about 2 minutes.
- To serve: Arrange each hen half on wilted escarole, if desired. Spoon sautéed blueberries and sweet garlic cloves around hens.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.