Roast Chicken with Apple Stuffing and Cider Sauce
- 3 1/2 - 4 pounds whole roasting chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- Stuffing1 Tbs butter
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 onion, 1/2 finely diced and 1/2 reserved
- 2 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sauce2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (fat-free)
- 1 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Make stuffing by melting butter in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place apple pieces in skillet; sauté. Add onion diced pieces; sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in tarragon, breadcrumbs and apple cider. Add salt and pepper; stir. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Loosen skin on breasts and thighs of chicken by sliding fingers under skin. Push stuffing under skin, distributing evenly. Tie legs with six inch piece of butcher twine. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper on inside and outside of chicken. Place onion half inside the cavity of chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan; bake for 1 hour.
- To make sauce, transfer chicken from roasting pan to cutting board. Pour pan drippings into sauce pan, scraping bits from bottom of pan. Whisk in flour. Warm over medium heat. Gradually whisk in apple cider and chicken broth. Bring to simmer; cook over very low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in tarragon and apple cider vinegar.
- Carve chicken; arrange on serving plate. Pour sauce into pitcher and pass separately.
Nutrition note: Nutrition calculation based on 3.75 lb. chicken, boned and skinned.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.