Rice with Pork
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground annatto
- 1 Tbs paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 jalapeños, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups extra long grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork cubes and sauté until browned on all sides. Add the garlic, annatto, paprika, cayenne, jalapeños and salt and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to a low; simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Drain the liquid from the pot into a glass measuring cup (measure in batches if needed) to make sure you have 4 cups of liquid remaining to cook the rice. If needed, add water to equal 4 cups. Return liquid to pot and increase heat to high; stir in rice and peas, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with a green salad or vegetable.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a salad of mix greens and steamed snow peas.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.