Rice with Chicken, Spanish Style
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain rice
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces, skin removed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- Saffron for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- Olives or capers for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pot. Add onion, garlic, celery, red/green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add whole grain rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to mix all ingredients.
- Add chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, Saffron, and tomatoes. Bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the casserole simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas, corn, and beans and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot, the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.