Rajma (or Indian-Spiced Vegetarian Chili)
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onions (can use red onion)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (Roma tomatoes work great here. Note: Make sure you use all the seeds and pulp from inside the tomato, it makes a great base for the curry!)
- 1 tsp minced gingerroot, or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional) (I would highly recommend adding this in - gives the curry a nice kick without being too spicy!)
- 2 cups drained kidney beans (19-ounce can)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, or to taste
- 3 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add the oil, onions, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, gingerroot, cumin seeds, Garam Masala, lemon pepper, and dried red pepper flakes, if desired, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.