Pulled Lamb Sandwiches with Goat Cheese, Arugula, and Caramelized Onions
- 2 to 3 American lamb shanks (about 3 pounds)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 medium onions
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 8 slices rustic bread, toasted, or 4 crisped tortillas
- 1 container (5 to 6 ounces) spreadable goat cheese
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced, or 4 bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained
- In a kettle, combine lamb shanks with broth, chili powder and 1 onion, sliced. Cover; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Remove shanks from broth and when cool enough to handle, pull meat off bones into shredded pieces.
- Slice remaining onion; gently sauté in oil over medium heat until sweet and caramelized.
- Spread bread with goat cheese. Stack 4 slices with arugula, tomatoes, shredded lamb and caramelized onions. Close sandwiches. If preferred, stack all ingredients on tortillas.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.