Penne with Roasted Vegetables and Feta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
- 8 oz penne pasta, uncooked
- 14 1/2 oz stewed tomatoes, chopped, undrained (one 14.5-ounce can)
- 15 oz garbanzo beans, canned, rinsed and drained (one 15-ounce can)
- 10 kalamata olives, cut in quarters
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 oz feta cheese*, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 475°F (246°C).
- Combine olive oil and minced garlic in a cup; set aside.
- Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil spray. Place cubed eggplant on the pan and drizzle with the garlic-oil mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- While eggplant bakes, cook pasta in rapidly boiling water until done and drain.
- In a large skillet, combine stewed tomatoes, garbanzo beans, olives and oregano and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pasta and eggplant. Sprinkle with feta cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.