Pasta with Rustic Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces American Lamb boneless leg or shoulder, sliced in thin strips or 12 ounces of ground lamb
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes and juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced and drained ripe olives, optional
- In large skillet with cover, heat oil. Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add lamb and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well, set aside.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and juice, basil, pepper and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add cooked lamb, onions, pasta and olives, if desired. Heat through and serve.
Defrosting Lamb: Thaw frozen lamb in the refrigerator overnight or for faster thawing, use a microwave oven, following the manufacturer's directions. Do not thaw frozen lamb at room temperature.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.