Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe
- 12 oz orecchiette
- 2 lbs broccoli rabe or broccoli, (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, (or more)
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving about 1 cup (250mL) of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, trim the broccoli rabe into pieces about 2 inches (5cm) long, removing any stalks that are larger than 1/2-inch (1.25cm) in thickness. Chop coarsely.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add broccoli rabe, salt and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1–2 minutes. Add the 1 cup (250mL) of reserved cooking water and cook for about 5 minutes, until the broccoli is a vibrant dark green color. Transfer the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat the pasta with the vegetable and the juices. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.