My Mother’s Lentil Soup
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium new potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook covered for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are soft and start to fall apart.
- Some people prefer the lentils very soft, others prefer them a bit more chewy. Use your judgement! If a spicier soup is desired, add more salt or pepper, or even a splash or two of Tabasco sauce
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.