- 4 lbs mussels or small hard-shelled clams
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large leek chopped (white part only)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 Tbs butter
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 Tbs dry sherry
- Soak mussels in salted water for 30 minutes then scrub well under cold running water with a stiff-bristled brush; cut off beards. Place in a large kettle with water and wine, cover and steam for 5-10 minutes or until shells open; discard any mussels that do not open. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the broth. Remove mussels from shells and set aside. In a large kettle, sauté onion, leek, and garlic in butter until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and sauté 2 minute. Add chicken broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cream and mussels and heat through. Add sherry.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.