- 4 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 9 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbs minced fresh tarragon (2 tsp dried)
- 1 1/2 oz Gruyère cheese, grated
- 8 artichoke bottoms, drained canned or fresh cooked
- lemon juice, as needed
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins, split
- Melt butter in large saucepan and sauté shallots until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until they have released some liquid. Add flour and blend thoroughly to make a roux. Add milk and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tarragon. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, to make a sauce. Add cheese, stir to melt, and remove from heat. (Makes about 3 cups)
- Warm the artichoke bottoms in broth or water mixed with a bit of lemon juice. Season with dash of salt. Gently poach the eggs in acidulated water (add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice) until cooked to desired doneness. Toast and butter the English muffins. Gently reheat the mushroom sauce, if necessary. Plate the muffin halves, each topped with an artichoke bottom, poached egg, and about 1/3 cup sauce. Garnish with sprig of tarragon.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.